On Monday afternoon, January 31, 2011, the National Weather Service issued a Blizzard Warning, which will be in effect until 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 2, 2011.
A major winter storm is forecast to dump 12 to 20 inches of snow on Wilmette, starting Tuesday and continuing through Wednesday with high winds creating blizzard conditions. White-out conditions are expected Tuesday night, as strong winds and snowfall rates of 2''-3'' per hour will combine to make travel extremely hazardous or nearly impossible.
Driving during the storm Tuesday night and Wednesday will be extremely hazardous and is strongly discouraged.
The Village assigns up to 17 snow plows to apply anti-icing materials, and plow Village roadways during significant winter storm events. Crews typically begin work in advance of the storm, and continue around the clock until roads are safe again for travel.
Please take note of these reminders in advance of the storm:
- PLAN AHEAD - Assume that travel will be severely disrupted or impossible Tuesday night and Wednesday. Assume that there may be school closings and other disruptions to personal schedules.
- Avoid driving during the storm - if you become stuck in your street or alley, it will be blocked to snow clearing equipment and emergency vehicles.
- Parking is prohibited on both sides of Village streets during snow removal operations. Please relocate your car to a neighbor's driveway or available parking lot in advance of the storm. Cars remaining on the street will be ticketed and will slow down the Village's snow removal response.
- The Village's plowing priorities remain the same, main streets will be addressed first, followed by side streets, alleys, and sidewalks. The Village has a detailed snow removal plan and streets will be plowed in accordance with that plan with the focus on keeping main streets open. If your street has not been plowed please be patient as the crews will be operating in accordance with this carefully drafted plan and will clear your street at the appropriate time. These priorities are intended to provide access for emergency vehicles such as fire trucks, ambulances and police cars. Please note that alleys may become impassable on Tuesday night and into Wednesday as the snow continues to fall. While the Village recognizes the need for residents to access their cars from the alley, main streets and side streets must be given priority and alleys will be cleared as time allows.
- There are approximately 8,000 driveways throughout the community and the Village does not have the resources to plow snow from driveway aprons. When clearing your driveway, be sure to place snow to the right of the driveway so that Village plows do not push the snow back onto the driveway apron. Given the amount of snowfall projected, it is likely that Village plows will clear each side street 3 - 4 times throughout the storm.
- If assistance is needed for shoveling snow from sidewalks or driveways, please consider contacting the WilWork youth employment referral program at 847-853-7608 or email email@example.com.
For questions or concerns regarding snow removal please contact Public Works at 847-853-7500 during regular business hours (7am - 3pm) and the Police Department Non-Emergency Line 847-256-1200 after regular business hours.