CTA Suspends Purple Line Service This Weekend
Beginning on Friday and lasting through Monday, CTA crews will install a new viaduct at Greenleaf Street in Evanston. Purple line service will suspended from 8:30 p.m. Friday through 4:30 a.m. Monday.
Purple line service will be suspended between Howard and Davis streets this weekend as crews install a new viaduct at Greenleaf Street.
The tracks will shut down at 8:30 p.m. Friday, June 8, and reopen at 4:30 a.m. Monday, June 11, according to a release from the city. CTA will run a bus between the stations at South, Main, Dempster and Davis, operating every four to 15 minutes during the day and every 20 minutes late at night.
Parking restrictions and street closures will also be in effect during the construction. Greenleaf Street will shut down east of Chicago Avenue beginning at noon on Friday, and will remain closed until construction of the bridge is finished, about 5 p.m. on Monday. Parking restrictions will affect Clark Street, Sherman Avenue and Chicago Avenue.
A CTA crew will also be working on the platform at the Dempster Street station from 10 p.m. on Friday through noon on Saturday, in preparation for a new viaduct that will be installed there in late June. Dempster Street will be reduced to one lane traveling westbound during that time, with contractors flagging traffic as needed, according to the release.
Residents who want to watch the new viaduct be put into place can do so from the sidewalk on the south side of Greenleaf, near the Autobarn Pre-driven lot, or via a video feed on the city website. Crews will likely install the viaduct between 4 to 7 p.m. on Saturday, June 9, according to the release.
This weekend’s construction is part of a $10.3 million project to replace viaducts at Grove, Dempster and Greenleaf streets and to repair the retaining wall along Chicago Avenue between Greenleaf and Hamilton.
Parking Restrictions in Detail:
- No parking on the west side of Sherman Avenue from Greenwood Avenue to Lake Street beginning Friday at 7 p.m.
- No parking on both sides of Chicago Avenue from Greenleaf Street north about 200 feet beginning at 5 a.m. Friday
- No parking on the south side of Clark Street from Chicago Avenue east to the city pay box about 125 feet beginning at 5 a.m. on Friday
CTA Bus Stops on Purple Line:
- South Boulevard: northbound stop on southeast corner of Chicago and South, southbound stop on northwest corner
- Main Street: northbound stop on northeast corner of Chicago and Main, southbound stop on northwest corner
- Dempster Street: northbound stop on southeast corner of Chicago and Dempster, southbound stop on northwest corner
- Davis Street: both stops on Benson outside the station
Editor's Note: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that purple line service would be shut down Friday morning. In fact, the suspension begins at 8:30 p.m. Friday evening. We sincerely regret the error.