Official: Minor Fire Caused by Overused Power Line
The power line caught fire around 12 p.m. Wednesday.
A power line that caught fire around 12 p.m. Wednesday was likely the result of overuse, according to Wilmette Fire Department Lieutenant John Storm.
"ComEd told us that they believe the extra draw from people using electricity for cooling so overworked the wires." Storm told Patch. "It caused them to get so hot that they caught on fire."
"Police have blocked off part of Wilmette Avenue. There's a firetruck there & loud firecracker-like noises coming from an alley," user @Ason98519 told Patch.
Police confirmed that it was a minor incident, in which no one was injured.
The wire was located in an alley near the intersection of Central Avenue and Wilmette Avenue.
Meanwhile, power was temporarily pulled from the building nearby in the 1100 block of Central Avenue, according to Storm. Officials were able to stop the fire and secure the area by 1:17 p.m.