Kickstarting economic growth is the most important national issue for New Trier Township residents, according to a 2011 straw poll conducted by the New Trier Democratic Organization (NTDO). The volunteer group conducted the survey during a series of July sidewalk sales in Glencoe, Wilmette and Winnetka.
Roughly 200 area residents were asked to rank 13 topics, and also questioned about casino development in Illinois. Poll takers voted "2:1 against expanding gambling casinos in Illinois," according to a press release from NTDO.
Meanwhile, Patch wants to keep the poll going. We've listed the 13 issues below and encourage readers to share their thoughts in the comments below.
- Nurturing new jobs and industries
- Protecting Medicare and Social Security
- The widening gap between Super Rich and others
- The Federal deficit
- Reducing military involvement
- Global climate change
- Ending Congressional gridlock
- Reforming campaign finance laws
- Immigration laws
- The War on Terror
- Spending more on medical research
- Cutting spending on social programs
- Access to affordable healthcare for all