Invite a friend
REFUGE: Stories of the Selfhelp Home
Rolf and Leni Weil, both long-time Wilmette residents and among the founders of Chicago's Selfhelp Home, tell their story in a documentary to be screened in the Auditorium.
REFUGE: Stories of the Selfhelp Home is a film about the last generation of Holocaust survivors in Chicago and a small group of German-Jewish refugees who came together right before the war to begin Selfhelp. REFUGE, which is interwoven with archival footage, reaches back 70 years to tell the story of this last generation. Little more than a dozen survivors and refugees remain at Selfhelp.
Dr. and Mrs. Weil, as well as the film's director Ethan Bensinger, will be part of the discussion afterwards. Dr. Weil is remembered as the former president of Chicago's Roosevelt University.
More About Wilmette Public Library
Wilmette Public Library is a vital part of the community backbone. WPL offers an extensive collection of books, journals, microfilms, CDs, videos and more for all ages. Several classes and literary groups, including Senior Book Talks, Current Events Roundtable and Computer courses are available to residents.
The first collection of books for the public began in 1880 as a gift from a Wilmette literary society. Wilmette Public Library has stood at its present location since 1905 when a generous grant from Andrew Carnegie helped make free libraries available to all.
Other events here
- Islamic Art: Mirror of the Invisible World - Documentary Today, May 21, 1:30 pm–3:00 pm
- FREE Mentoring for Small Businesses and Start Ups May 21, 2013 / June 18, 2013, 5:00 pm–8:00 pm
- “Water Pressures: Education and Advocacy for our Water Futures” Film Screening and Discussion Today, May 21, 7:00 pm–8:45 pm
- Antiques Appraisal with Frederick Dose Tomorrow, May 22, 2:00 pm–4:00 pm
- Maximizing Results for Marketing Prospects or Job Hunting with Reference USA, Online Resource Tomorrow, May 22, 7:00 pm–8:00 pm
- Finding Balance in an Unbalanced World Weekly on Thursdays, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
- FREE Mentoring for Small Businesses and Start Ups May 7, 2013 / May 28, 2013 / June 4, 2013 / June 25, 2013, 9:00 am–12:00 pm
- Current Events Roundtable May 6, 2013 / May 20, 2013 / June 3, 2013 / June 17, 2013, 10:00 am–11:30 am
- Korean/Vietnam Roundtable May 1, 2013 / June 5, 2013, 10:00 am–11:30 am
- ADHD Support Group May 1, 2013 / June 5, 2013, 7:00 pm–8:45 pm