The North Shore Mosquito Abatement District (NSMAD) discovered West Nile Virus-positive mosquitoes in Wilmette Aug. 8, according to an e-alert from the Village.
Parts of central, east, as well as south Wilmette and adulticiding efforts .
(Earlier: Mosquito Spraying Continues in Wilmette)
The village issued the following tips on protection against the virus:
- When outdoors, use insect repellent with DEET, picaridin, or oil of lemon eucalyptus. Be sure to follow the directions on the label.
- Wear long sleeves when out during times when mosquitoes are most active (at dusk and dawn). Wear light colors and lose fitting clothing while outdoors.
- Get rid of standing water around your home including: pet bowls, flower pots, tire swings, baby pools, etc.
- Ensure doors and windows have properly fitting screens and repair any tears or openings.
- Keep weeds and grass cut short and maintain clean gutters that are free of debris.
Stay tuned to Patch for more on West Nile in the area. Join the discussion on our Facebook page.