Saturday, December 15, 2012
A letter to parents emphasized the district's commitment to school safety.
In response to Friday’s tragic school shooting at a grade school in Newton, Connecticut, Wilmette Public Schools Superintendent Ray Lecher wrote a letter to parents of district children, expressing his sadness and providing reassurance. In the letter, Lecher advises parents on how to talk to their children about the tragedy and assures readers of the district’s commitment to ensure school safety and prepare for potential emergency situations. Read more local coverage of the shooting at Newton Patch. Printed below is the superintendent’s statement in full: Dear Parents and Staff, Today our nation was struck with a very upsetting event. You may have heard about the mass shooting at an elementary school in Newton, Connecticut. All of us are …
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Wilmette Public Schools employees expressed concerns at Monday's public hearing.
A public hearing was held Monday night to address the possible outsourcing of school transportation by Wilmette Public Schools. During the monthly District 39 board meeting, the board of education gave residents the opportunity to share their opinions about the use of an outside transportation company. "Last year, prior to our referendum, a group of parents who are professional business consultants provided free financial analysis and recommendations for District 39," Superintendent Ray Lechner said. "One recommendation was to consider outsourcing student transportation." Earlier: D39 Announces Revised FY2012 Budget Crystal LeRoy, District 39's business manager, said families should not be concerned about the new drivers' professionalism, …
Monday, September 26, 2011
Check out what's up for discussion at tonight's school board meeting.
District 39 is hosting its September board meeting this evening at 7 p.m. at the Mikaelian Education Center. To prep you for the evening's meeting, Patch has picked the highlights from the agenda including: Check back with tomorrow for updates on the meeting. Like Wilmette-Kenilworth Patch on Facebook to join the conversation.
Thursday, July 21, 2011
Patch has highlights from Monday nights July D39 Board meeting.
Wilmette District 39 School Board held it's monthly meeting Monday night, announcing that it received the highest financial recognition from the Illinois State Board of Education for the 2009-2010 fiscal year. "Last year we implemented many of our planned budget cuts that we intended to do for fiscal year 2012," Superintendent Ray Lechner also said. "This early implementation paid off." Business manager Crystal LeRoy added, "With the additional revenue from the successful referendum, we expect to maintain the financial recognition status for future years." (Check out Patch's full coverage of the D39 referendum.) Although Lechner has described the year-end budget deficit as "smaller than anticipated," earlier this month he expressed concern…
Monday, July 18, 2011
Wilmette-Kenilworth Patch is keeping you up-to-date on the latest developments in District 39's budget and referendum lawsuit.
Wilmette-Kenilworth Patch has been staying on top of District 39's financial plans for FY2012 since we launched in November 2010. And while the $6.375 million tax hike passed with a 'yes' vote of 63.1 percent in April, a lawsuit has emerged that argues the ballot language was faulty. Patch is continuing to provide readers coverage of the issue. Here's a breakdown of the stories live on the site: Check back for more stories as Wilmette-Kenilworth Patch continues to cover this issue. Email Wilmette-Kenilworth Patch editor Andrea Hart to submit letters to the editor on the topic, or join the comment discussion on the site, as well as on Facebook.